Nutrition Intervention for Diabetes Self-management (NIDS), for indigent adults living with diabetes, is a two-year (2020-2022) program that seeks to regulate the glycemic control of people living with diabetes (PLD) in low-income communities by providing them with free diabetes-appropriate meals or foodstuff.
To solve the problem of food insecurity and poor dietary intake among people living with diabetes in low-income communities in Lagos, Nigeria.
To enable low-income communities as well as Primary Health Care Centers (PHCs) adopt and implement effective nutritional education programs and affordable meal plans that help people living with diabetes understand how adequate nutrition intake is essential to maintain sound health by ensuring proper glycemic control.
Target beneficiaries are indigent people living with diabetes that are food-insecure making it difficult for them to manage the disease condition.
NIDS Goals are;
- To ensure a reliable and constant supply of diabetes-appropriate nutritious foods for the target beneficiaries.
- To reduce the prevalence of acute and chronic complications associated with diabetes amongst indigent people living with diabetes.
- To improve the glycemic control among people living with diabetes in under- deserved communities.
- To establish diabetes support groups in low income communities.
At the end of this program, we will achieve the following:
- Increased food security and access to affordable diabetes-appropriate meal plans through the Lagos Food Bank.
- Increased community involvement in the self-management of diabetes through the establishment of a support group for people living with diabetes in low\income communities.
- Strengthened capacity of PHCs within the low-income communities to deliver correct and up to date diabetes education, manage and monitor the glycemic flow of people living with diabetes.
- Increased access of beneficiaries to resources like jobs that match their existing skills to sustain themselves through the on-going job placement program of the Lagos Food Bank Initiative.
The NIDS program has recently been launched with an online campaign aimed to sensitize the public about the disease condition, Diabetes.